|My Mountain Man Enjoyin' His Whoopie Pie|
|Everybody Loves Whoopies!|
|The Best Part: Crushed Red Hot Candies|
|Red Hot Velvet Whoopie Pies with Cinnamon-Cream Cheese Frosting & Crushed Red Hot Candies|
For the Red Hot Velvet Whoopie Pies:
2C AP Flour
2T Cocoa Powder
½t Baking Powder
1 Stick of Unsalted Butter, Room Temperature
1C Light Brown Sugar, Packed
1 Large Egg
½C Buttermilk, Room Temperature
1t White Distilled Vinegar
1oz Red Food Coloring
For the Cinnamon-Cream Cheese Filling:
1 8oz Block of Cream Cheese, Softened
5T Unsalted Butter, Room Temperature
2 ½C Confectioners’ Sugar, Sifted
Red Hot Candies, Slightly Crushed (for rolling) & Whole (for garnish)
Directions:1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper, and then set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In the bowl of a standing mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and brown sugar on medium-high speed until light & fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Beat in the egg until incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Blend in the vanilla. In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, white distilled vinegar, and red food coloring until blended. Reduce the speed to low, and beat in a third of the dry ingredients, followed by half of the buttermilk mixture, beating each addition until just incorporated. Repeat so that all the buttermilk has been used, and then mix in the final third of the dry ingredients (do not over-beat).
3. Using a large ice cream scoop, scoop the batter onto the prepared pans. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until the tops are set, rotating the baking sheets halfway through. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for at least 10 minutes, until they can be safely transferred to a cooling rack. Allow them to cool completely before filling.
4. To Make the Cinnamon-Cream Cheese Filling: In the bowl of a standing mixer, beat together the cream cheese & butter on medium-high speed until well combined & smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Mix in the vanilla. Gradually beat in the sifted confectioners’ sugar & cinnamon until totally incorporated and smooth. Transfer the frosting to a clean pastry bag fitted with a plan round tip, and fill the big with the frosting.
5. Pair the cookies up by shape and size. Flip over one cookie of each pair, so that the flat side is facing up. Pipe the frosting onto the flat-sided cookie of each pair, leaving the edges clear. Sandwich the cookies together, so that the flat sides are facing each other and press gently to help the filling to reach the edges. Roll the edges of the frosting in crushed red hot candies for a nice crunch & presentation.
6. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container until ready to eat!