|Nashville Hot Chicken & Waffles with Bourbon-Maple Syrup|
For the Brine of the Nashville Hot Chicken:
¼C Hot Sauce
2lbs Chicken Wings
For the Spicy Oil of the Nashville Hot Chicken:
¼C Canola Oil
2T Cayenne Pepper
¼t Garlic Powder
For the Coating of the Nashville Hot Chicken:
1C AP Flour
Salt, Pepper, & Cajun Seasoning, To Taste
For the Nashville Hot Chicken:
2lbs Chicken Wings
Prepared Spicy Oil
1Q Canola Oil, For Frying
For the Yeasted Buttermilk Waffles:
½C Warm Water
1 Package of Active Dry Yeast
2C Buttermilk, Warmed
1 Stick Unsalted Butter, Melted & Cooled Slightly
1t Salt & Sugar
2C AP Flour
2 Large Eggs, Lightly Beaten
¼t Baking Soda
For the Bourbon Maple Syrup:
1C Pure Maple Syrup (good quality & high grade)
1-2T Brown Sugar
1. To Brine the Chicken: Whisk buttermilk, hot sauce, salt, and sugar in a large bowl until the sugar and salt dissolve. Add the chicken and refrigerate, covered, for 8-12 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and drain the brine. Pat the wings dry and set them aside.
3. For the Spicy Oil: Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the spice and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds (do not burn). Transfer to a bowl and set it aside.
4. For the Coating: In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, salt, pepper, and Cajun seasoning. Dredge the wings in the flour mixture and shake the excess flour from the wings. Transfer to wire racks. Refrigerate the chicken for 15-20 minutes to help the coating stick to the chicken.
5. Heat the quart of canola oil in a deep fryer to 350 degrees. While the oil heats, remove the chicken from the refrigerator and return the chicken wings to the flour mixture and turn to coat again.
6. Fry the wings until they are a deep golden brown and cooked through, about 10-12 minutes. Once the wings are fried, remove them to a wire rack to drain, and then brush them with the spicy oil mixture over all the sides of the crispy chicken.
7. For the Waffles: Combine the water and yeast in a large mixing bowl and let stand to dissolve for 5 minutes. Add the buttermilk, butter, salt, sugar, and flour to the bowl. Whisk until well blended and smooth. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it stand at room temperature overnight. When you’re ready to make the waffles, preheat the waffle iron. Also, preheat the oven to warm and place a baking sheet in the oven. Just before making the waffles, whisk the eggs and baking soda into the batter until smooth (the batter will be very thin). Fill the waffle wells and cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions, or until golden brown & crispy. Transfer the finished waffles to the baking sheet in the preheated oven to keep warm.
8. For the Bourbon Maple Syrup: Heat the maple syrup over low heat in a medium saucepan. Add the bourbon, vanilla, and brown sugar, and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the bourbon infuse the syrup and it thickens slightly. Keep warm until ready to serve.
9. To Assemble the Chicken & Waffles: Place the buttermilk- waffle in the center of your plate and spread with softened butter. Top the waffle with the crispy Nashville hot chicken. Pour the bourbon-maple syrup on top and enjoy!!