|Three Mammoth Meatball Sub Sliders|
|Dont'cha Wanna Take A Bite?!?|
|Up Close & Personal of Our Sliders|
|Mammoth Meatball Sub Sliders with Fried Mozzarella Sticks, Pepperoni Sauce, Pesto Mayo, & Smoked Provolone|
For the Meatballs:
1lb Ground Beef
½lb Ground Veal
½lb Ground Pork
4 Slices of White Bread, Crusts Removed & Made into Breadcrumbs
¼C Italian Bread Crumbs
2T Fresh Parsley, Chopped
½C Fresh Parmesan, Grated
Salt & Pepper, To Taste
1 Extra-Large Egg, Beaten
¾C Warm Water
Oil, For Frying
For the Fried Mozzarella:
1 8oz Package of Mozzarella Cheese, Cut into Blocks
½C AP Flour
2 Eggs, Beaten
1 ½C Italian Panko Breadcrumbs
Oil, For Frying
Salt & Pepper, For Sprinkling
For the Pepperoni Sauce:
3T Olive Oil
1 Small Sweet Onion, Finely Chopped
5 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
1t Red Pepper Flakes & Fennel Seeds
1lb Pepperoni, Finely Chopped or Sliced
8oz of San Marzano Plum Tomatoes, Chopped
1 ½C Chicken Stock
1 Fresh Bay Leaf
For the Pesto Mayo:
1t Fresh Basil, Minced
Salt & Pepper, To Taste
For the Sandwiches:
Small Hawaiian Bread Rolls, Buttered & Toasted
Fried Meatballs, Whole or Sliced in Half
Prepared Pepperoni Sauce
Prepared Pesto Mayo
Slices of Smoked Provolone
Directions:1. To Make the Pepperoni Sauce: Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Once hot, sauté the onions until tender, about 2 minutes, and then add the garlic, red pepper flakes, and fennel seeds, and cook for 2 minutes. Add in the chopped pepperoni and let it sweat for 2-3 minutes on low. Add in the tomatoes and chicken stock, and cook the mixture for 45 minutes or until the pepperoni gets soft and moist. After softening, puree the mixture until a smooth sauce is formed. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Set it aside until ready to use on the sandwich.
2. To Make the Pesto Mayo: In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients until incorporated. Refrigerate until ready to use.
3. To Make the Meatballs: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the ground meats, both bread crumbs, parsley, Parmesan, seasonings, egg, and warm water into a bowl. Combine very lightly with a fork. Using your hands, lightly form the mixture into 10-12 large meatballs. In a deep skillet, heat your oil to medium heat. In batches, cool the meatballs and brown them well on all sides, roughly 10 minutes. Remove the cooked meatballs to a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until cooked through. Set them aside until ready to stack on the sandwich.
4. To Make the Fried Mozzarella: In a deep fryer, heat the oil to 365 degrees. Meanwhile, set up a battering station. I use 3 pie tins. For the first station, I mix the flour and cornstarch. For the second station, I whisk together the eggs and milk. For the third station, pour the contents of one box of Panko breadcrumbs. Now, place the blocks of mozzarella into the flour mixture, then into the egg wash, and finally the panko (making sure they are completely covered). Put the breaded slices on a tin foil-lined baking sheet with a cooling rack on top, and then put the pan into the refrigerator and let the cheese rest for about 15-30 minutes. In a medium sauté pan, heat about 2 inches of olive oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil has heated, fry the breaded mozzarella for about 1-2 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and crispy. Remove the fried cheese to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Immediately layer them onto the sandwich.
5. To Assemble the Sandwiches: Spread the toasted slider buns with the pesto mayo. On top of the pesto mayo, lay down the fried mozzarella medallions in an even layer. Spoon on a layer of the pepperoni sauce and top that with the meatball halves. Add more pepperoni sauce on top, so that there is a thick layer. Lay slices of smoked provolone cheese on top of the sauced meatballs and place onto a baking sheet. Broil the sandwich until the provolone is just melted & slightly toasted.
6. Enjoy while the sliders are still hot!