|Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes with Whipped Rainbow Chip Buttercream|
|So many sprinkles :)|
For the Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes:
2 Large Eggs
1 ½C AP Flour
1t Baking Powder
½C Sprinkles (heaping)
For the Whipped Rainbow Chip Buttercream:
5T AP Flour
2 Sticks of Salted Butter
1C Homemade Rainbow Chips (heaping)
Directions:1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating to combine.
3. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add half of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined, and then add in the milk. Once mixed, add in the remaining dry ingredients. Fold in the assorted sprinkles.
4. Pour into cupcake tins and fill 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let cool completely while you make the Buttercream.
5. For the Whipped Rainbow Chip Buttercream: In a small saucepan, whisk flour into milk and heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens. You want it to be very thick, thicker than cake mix, more like a brownie mix is. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature. (If I’m in a hurry, I place the saucepan over ice in the sink for about 10 minutes or so until the mixture cools.) It must be completely cool before you use it in the next step. Stir in vanilla. While the mixture is cooling, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. You don’t want any sugar graininess left. Then add the completely cooled milk/flour/vanilla mixture and beat the living daylights out of it. If it looks separated, you haven’t beaten it enough! Beat it until it all combines and resembles whipped cream. Beat in the homemade rainbow chips until incorporated throughout.
6. Using a large ice cream scooper, scoop a large ball of Buttercream on top of each cupcake. Using a knife, smooth the edges of the frosting. Garnish with sprinkles or more rainbow chips.